- 2 large sweet onions, Vidalia type, cut into thick slices
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 10 mL (2 tsp.) fresh thyme, chopped
- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) butter
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) flour
- 1 litre (4 cups) warm beef stock
- 375 mL (1 1/2 cup) Cogruet® cheese or Light Cogruet® cheese, shredded
- 12 slices of toasted ficelle or baguette
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, mix the onion, garlic and thyme with the olive oil until everything is fully coated. Place on a cooking sheet covered with parchment paper; season to taste.
- Bake in middle of oven 40 minutes or until golden. Turn onions after 20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter at medium heat, add the onion mixture and cook 2-3 minutes. Add flour, blend in and cook 1 minute. Add beef stock and mix well. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Place 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of shredded Cogruet® cheese in the bottom of each ovenproof soup bowl.
- Ladle hot soup in the bowls. Cover with 3 slices of toasted ficelle and top with 60 mL (1/4 cup) shredded Cogruet® cheese. Broil 3-5 minutes. Serve immediately.
For a soup lower in fat, use our Light Cogruet® shredded cheese.